Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Passion in Teaching

I read an article about girls being affected by their female teacher's anxiety of mathematics. I believe this anxiety could happen to any student based on a teacher's anxiety to teach a subject. For example, I am qualified to teach 7-12 mathematics. However, if I was asked to teach Geometry...which is my least favorite of the math classes....I mean my LEAST favorite...I know my students would suffer. I could teach it....would teach it (perhaps)...but would not enjoy it...so I believe this lack of enthusiasm would be sensed by my students....causing a disservice to them.

I am very passionate about junior high mathematics. I believe I can get these students engaged in learning mathematics...and know the steps necessary for higher level math. I had 7th and 8th grade math students for many years...I "lost" my 7th graders due to a schedule change. I gained a few high school classes...which is fine...however, I secretly wish to once again have the 7th and 8th graders as I love to see their growth!

No comments:

Post a Comment